Fruit Fly cultures with little hassle. This kit comes with everything you need to create 3 healthy 32oz fruit fly cultures, just add water.
Included in the kit is the following:
- 3 32 oz deli cups with cloth vented lids
- Enough fly medium to produce 3 cultures
- 1 vial of white vinegar
- 1 vial of water dechlorinator
- The contents of a Culture Bolster kit
- 6 plastic Fly Ladders
- 1 pipette
- Enough hydei flies to seed your first culture
- Add 3 Tbs of fly medium to one of your 32 oz deli cups.
- Add 1 capsule of crystalized honey and 1 capsule of bee pollen to your medium. Mix.
- Boil at least 1 cup of water (you may not need all of it).
- To 2/3 cup of boiling water, add 2 drops of water dechlorinator and 3 ml of white vinegar. Mix.
- Quickly add and mix water with fruit fly medium. Add water as necessary for desired texture. Hydrated medium should be viscous but thin enough that it flattens out if you tap it on the counter.
- Before the mixture cools, add 2 fly ladders in a V pattern so that the bottoms meet in the middle of the cup and the tops nearly reach the top of the cup.
- Sprinkle the contents of 1 capsule of brewer’s yeast on the surface of the fly medium.
- Let cool.
- Once the culture is completely cool, seed with provided flies and add the lid. Culture should begin producing flies in 2-3 weeks. Keep an eye of larval and pupal activity around the surface of the medium. If the culture seems to dry out, spritz with water.
- Do not completely empty culture of flies at any point, but also do not allow the flies to overpopulate, as this could crash your culture early.
- After 6 weeks, or when the fresh medium seems close to gone, repeat process with your second culture and seed with flies from your first. Each culture should last 6-8 weeks.
- If your culture becomes overrun with mites or mold, you can start a new culture early to ensure you have safe, healthy flies for your pets. The ingredients and items in these kits are designed to inhibit mold growth and development of mites, but it is always a possibility.